Who is dating nat wolff
163) was allowed to retain it on condition that he paid his father's legacies. 164) This he could not do, and in 1723 the Court of Chancery decreed that the property should be sold to Edmund Halsey for £12,000, of which £11,000 in South Sea bonds should be accepted as part of the purchase money, (fn. The chancel and chapel have plaster ceilings, but the open king-post roof of the nave and the lean-to roofs of the aisles, which are externally continuous with it, are all of 14th-century date. In the chancel are brass figures of Sir William de Moleyns (d. The outer archway has sunk spandrels and the gabled end is finished with cusped barge-boards; the upper portions of the side walls were originally occupied by open trefoiled lights arranged in two bays, but the mullions have been destroyed, and in some cases 17th-century pendants have been fixed below the springing of the heads.An inscription let into the wall of the church under the window opposite the grave alone denotes this fact. 8) In 1601 Queen Elizabeth was sumptuously entertained at Stoke by Chief Justice Sir Edward Coke, (fn. Wilberforce Bryant, was one of the estates suggested for purchase by the nation for the Duke of Marlborough in 1705. 11) In 1789 the house had not been inhabited for some years and needed extensive repairs. 12) Since it was not considered to be a particularly fine specimen of Elizabethan architecture, it was taken down, with the exception of the west wing. 13) This house situated in the Park is now the property of Dr. The building is three stories in height, and preserves its original mullioned windows and gables on the west side, but the eastern elevation dates from the period when the rest of the house was demolished. The house has been very largely refaced and enlarged; among other original features remaining is a fine open newel staircase. The , commenced in 1742, was certainly finished at Stoke and inclosed in a letter from Gray to Walpole dated 12 June 1750. 49) Walpole showed it to his friend Lady Cobham, who lived at Stoke Manor House. Outside the churchyard to the east of the church is the cenotaph to the poet's memory finished by Wyatt in 1799 for John Penn. 4) The old manor-house of Stoke Park, which stood to the north of the church, was the 'fair house' completed in 1555 (fn. 6) on the site of the house which had been crenellated by John de Moleyns under royal licence granted in 1331 (fn. 9) and in August 1647 Charles I spent a night or two there as a prisoner on his removal from Moor Park, Rickmansworth. The hall, which is two stories in height, is at the south end. 35) Holly Bush Hill, a hamlet to the north of Sefton Park, contains a chapel of ease to the parish church. The tithe-barn and stable are contemporary with the house. She persuaded her niece Miss Speed and a guest, Lady Schaub, who knew a friend of the poet's, to pay him a visit at his mother's house. 53) and after her death in 1758 Gray shut up the house, and from that time only visited Stoke Poges when asked to stay at Stoke House. 157) John Gayer died in 1657, and was succeeded by his elder brother Robert, (fn. 1577) and his wife, daughter of Richard Curzon, with an incomplete marginal inscription, and shields of Hampden and Hampden impaling Curzon; and a slab with a brass inscription and arms and a matrix for the figure, to Eleanor de Moleyns, who married first Sir Robert Hungerford, and secondly Oliver Maningham, kt. 159) He with others in 1670 conveyed Stoke Poges Manor in trust to Dr. 160) who in 1689, when Archbishop of Canterbury, settled it on Sir Robert and his heirs. 161) Sir Robert Gayer died about 1702, and by will devised the manor to trustees to be sold. 1425), in plate armour, and Margery his wife wearing a veil and loose dress, with an inscription and two shields; of Edward Hampden (d.
128) his widow married Sir Richard Sacheverell, receivergeneral of Lord Hastings. 129) He died in 1534, his wife having predeceased him. 130) At her death Stoke Poges passed to George son of Edward Lord Hastings, (fn. 133) and after his death in 1543 his wife Anne held Stoke Poges in dower for her life. 134) Francis Earl of Huntingdon was holding Stoke in 1557, (fn. 138) but in 1591, in order to raise money, he obtained licence to alienate it to Richard Branthwaite and his heirs, (fn. Even granting the mortgage, the interest was excessive and the deed therefore void, and Branthwaite by his will declared that the mortgage could be redeemed by the heirs of the earl. 143) Finally the earl declared that, not being a party to the agreement, it could not bind him. 144) He was unsuccessful in hindering the sale, which took place in the following year, the purchaser being Edward Coke, then attorney-general, afterwards Lord Chief Justice Sir Edward Coke. The former has a crest of a horse's head collared with a crown carved in oak. 350) and in 1550 of the chapel to Thomas Reve and others. 351) Richard Winwood purchased the chapel before 1684 (fn. 355) The trustees of Charlotte Duchess of Buccleugh are the present patrons. a year, which are applied in book prizes to children of Stoke Road School and books and money prizes to Stoke Poges School. 132) In 1532 he made a settlement of the manor on the marriage of his son and heir Francis, (fn. 136) He was plaintiff in a lawsuit in 1566 as to the detention of a book containing the Court Rolls of the manor. 137) By an Act of Parliament 1584–5 the manor was settled on his wife Katherine for life, (fn. He claimed to hold the reversion of the manor as heir of his brother Henry, the late earl, who had died in 1595 and denied the mortgage or sale of the manor to Branthwaite. 146) and two years later Lord Danvers and Lord Houghton obtained a grant of Stoke Poges Manor in connexion with a Crown claim for the debts of the late Earl of Huntingdon. 147) On his release soon after Sir Edward obtained a reversal of this grant by judgement of the barons. The base of an early 16th-century altar cross is preserved in a case on the south wall of the chancel; its bronze sexfoiled foot, which shows traces of gilt, is enriched with foliage and flowers and bears the following inscription: ' Ihs Nazarenus rex iudeorum Fili dei miserere mei.' Two funeral helms are hung on the south wall of the chancel; both are made-up pieces, one being apparently a late 15th-century tournament bascinet, to which the beaver of a later close helmet has been added, while the other incorporates part of a late 16th-century burgonet. 349) In 1549 a grant of the chantry-house was given to William Sawle and William Bridges, (fn. yearly, representing a legacy of £50 by will of the Rev. The hospital is now regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, confirmed by an Act of 1856. The following charities for education are regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, 15 December 1885, as varied by a scheme of the Board of Education, 4 October 1910, namely:— Foundation of Mary Church, by will, 1791, trust fund, £130 0. 142) They and the trustees were defendants in an action brought in 1598 by George Earl of Huntingdon to prevent the sale of Stoke Poges. At the west end of the nave is preserved a seat of about 1500 with a traceried back and poppy-head standards, and in the south chapel is a 17th-century communion table. C., directed land of the value of 40., the master's house, garden and meadow containing 5 a. 32 p., the hospital meadow containing 19 acres, other meadow land containing 11 acres or thereabouts, and two cottages and gardens, producing a rental of about £100 a year; also a sum of £55 0. The poor's fuel allotment, awarded in 1810, is regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 30 January 1877. a year, which is applied in support of the coal club.15) and in 1810 a flower garden was laid out in the manner described by Mason in his . 16) In the park is the Doric column designed by Wyatt to support Rossi's statue of Sir Edward Coke, erected in 1800. 17) There is a tumulus at the south-west corner of the park, and in 1911 a cinerary urn of the Bronze Age was turned up by some workmen in making a bunker. 18) Near Stoke Park, a quarter of a mile north-east of Stoke Poges Church, is the hospital, a brick building dating from 1765. 19) The original foundation by Edward Lord Hastings of Loughborough, third son of George Earl of Huntingdon, in 1557, stood on the south side of the churchyard. 20) The former building, probably the old chantry-house, was pulled down and the hospital removed to its present position by Thomas Penn, who in 1765 obtained an enabling Act of Parliament. 21) To the north-west of the hospital is the vicarage; it was built in 1802 from a design by Wyatt, when, in consequence of an exchange of land between John Penn and the vicar, the old vicarage, the grounds of which opened into Stoke Park, was pulled down. 22) Stoke Court, or West End House, stands in a sheltered position to the north of Stoke Park.